Khatti Mitthi Gujarati Dal


I made this for lunch today as I quite like this sweet dal but hubby doesn’t. And I don’t like sweet breads which are quite popular in Eastern UP from where my husband hails but hubby does, be it mittha paratha, sheermal or even sweet buns with kababs. I went a little easy on the jaggery for this dal so hubby wouldn’t mind it too much.

Ingredients

150 grams channa dal,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tbsp of peanuts,
Salt to taste,
1 tsp ginger paste,
1 tsp green chilli paste or chopped green chillies,
4 pieces of kokum (I didn’t have kokum as home, so I used a few pieces of dried raw mango instead),
1 – 2 tbsp jaggery or as per your preference,



For the tempering

1 tbsp ghee,
½ tsp mustard seeds,
1 big pinch of cumin seeds,
1 small pinch or fenugreek seeds,
1 small piece of cinnamon,
1 clove,
1 slit green chillies,
Few curry leaves,
A pinch of asafoetida

Method

Soak the channa dal for two hours. Cook it with the peanuts and turmeric powder till well done (I pressure cooked it for 5 whistles). Churn it well. Next add all the other ingredients except those for tempering and boil for about 10 minutes. It shouldn’t be too thick.

Heat ghee and add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds, when they splutter add all the other tempering ingredients and pour it over the dal.

Comments

Most Liked