Banana Cinnamon Custard



I guess I have come a long way in my cooking journey...there was a time when I thought custard was only made using Brown and Polson custard powder :-). Another episode I remember about custard is that of one of my professors during my post graduation days, she was talking about something and she mentioned ‘....it is as plain as caramel custard’ and I remember wondering ‘is caramel custard’ plain. Now of course I know it as an extremely basic dessert.

The other day I added mashed banana and cinnamon to the caramel custard to make banana cinnamon custard. Here is the recipe I followed.



Ingredients

4 cups milk,
1 cup mashed banana,
2 tsp vanilla extract,
8 eggs,
200 grams sugar,
2 tsp cinnamon powder

Method

Grease flat bottomed bowls or ramekins. I used steel katoris.

Take 100 grams of sugar and about ¾ cup of water in a vessel and cook till it caramelizes. It should turn a lovely golden colour. Sprinkle the cinnamon powder over the caramel.

Heat the milk till bubbles form along the edge. Ensure it does not boil. Turn off the heat.

In a big bowl whisk together the remaining sugar, mashed banana, vanilla extract and lightly beaten eggs until smooth. Do not over whisk.

Gradually add the hot milk whisking constantly.

Pour this into the caramel coated bowls and place them in a baking tray.

Add hot water in the tray.


Pour the caramel into the greased bowls. Preheat the oven to 180OC for 10 minutes. Bake at 180OC for 50 minutes or till set, this timing will depend on the size of bowls you are using.

Cool and refrigerate. Loosen the edges with a knife and invert it onto a plate and serve chilled.

Comments

Most Liked