Spicy Egg and Peas Curry


Eggs are a truly versatile ingredient which I always have in my refrigerator. Versatile and very quick to make…quite a saviour when you have unannounced guests.  Eggs were the first thing I started cooking way back when I was in school. We would have our lunch break at 12.30 and we would be back home from school at about 4.30 and boy would I be hungry then! This was also the time when the pav-walla would come in our building selling pav – the soft bread quite unlike the bun. I associate the pav with Mumbai…unfortunately you don’t seem to get the same thing in Bangalore.

So that is when I started cooking eggs in various forms and having it with pav…such a delicious combo. I should remember to tell my sis to get pav for me from Mumbai when she visits me soon…

My mother always made a coconut based poached egg curry and at my in-laws place eggs are made in a curry with potatoes and peas. Today I am posting neither of these recipes but another one I made the other day.



Ingredients

4 hard-boiled eggs,
1 cup green peas,
½ tsp turmeric powder,
½ tsp cumin powder,
Oil as required,
Salt to taste,
3 tsp roasted poppy seeds,
3 tsp cashew pieces,
¾ cup of chopped tomatoes,
1 tsp ginger,
1 tsp garlic,
2 tsp chill powder or to taste,
 A handful of coriander leaves (chopped)

Method

Shell the boiled eggs and make small slits on them. Heat oil and fry the eggs till light brown. Keep aside.

Grind the roasted poppy seeds, cashew pieces, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and chilli powder to a fine paste.

Heat oil and add the paste and fry till oil separates. In the meanwhile mix the turmeric powder and the cumin powder in a little water and add to the fried masala. Fry again till oil separates.

Add the peas, sauté for sometime. Add about 2 cups of water and cook till peas are half done. Add the eggs and salt to taste (after checking the seasoning). Cook till peas are done and gravy is thick.

Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.

Comments

  1. ohhhh u did remind me and i did get the pav from Mumbai!!!u can always thank me by making this recipe again for me and lil Mohammad!It has two of his fav. ingredients in it u know egg and peas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will make the toned down version for Mohammad...or he will say titi :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. If you liked this post, please post a comment sharing your feedback or suggestion.

Most Liked