Steamed Mustard Prawns


Growing up I only saw mustard seeds being used for turka or baghar for vegetables and dal. Much later when I was doing my post-graduation I got introduced to the use of mustard oil as a cooking medium at my friend’s place. Then when I got married I saw it being used extensively at my in-laws place and I have now grown to absolutely love the flavour it lends to dishes.

In fact as I grew up in an apartment complex where almost 95% of the people were from Uttar Pradesh I had quite often smelt the pungent aroma coming from various houses but I did not know what exactly caused this aroma. I liked the aroma even then.


Of late I have also started using mustard seeds in a paste form especially for fish dishes and we really love it. I have used it in a steamed dish with baby potatoes too (will post the recipe for that soon). Today I made steamed mustard prawns for lunch and served it with rice and dal…hubby was really floored!



Ingredients

¼ kg shelled and deveined medium-sized prawns,
1.5 tbsp black mustard seeds,
1.5 tbsp yellow mustard seeds,
1 tbsp poppy seeds,
7-8 green chillies,
2 tbsp mustard oil,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
Salt to taste

Method

Grind both the mustard seeds with the poppy seeds and 2-3 green chillies to a coarse paste. Mix this with the washed prawns, turmeric powder, salt, remaining chopped green chillies and mustard oil.

Steam this for about 10-15 minutes and it is done. An extremely simple and flavoursome recipe.


Serve hot with plain rice and dal.   

Comments

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds tempting hoping that u will make it again while I'm here ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. If you liked this post, please post a comment sharing your feedback or suggestion.

Most Liked