Khas Khas Walle Aloo Matar


This is a different recipe for aloo matar, what makes it different is the use of whole poppy seeds or khas khas. In most recipes khas khas is generally roasted and ground to release its flavour, but in this recipe it is kept whole.

This is definitely not my recipe, but I don’t know from where I have sourced this recipe, I had it written down in my notebook where I note down recipes which I have tried and which turn out nice. I had recorded it quite some years back so no clue as to from where I got it.



Here is the recipe...

Ingredients

4 medium-sized potatoes,
2 cups of fresh green peas or frozen,
2 tbsps of poppy seeds or khas khas,
2 – 3 tsps of white sesame seeds,
One twig of curry leaves,
1 tsp of cumin seeds,
2 slit green chillies,
1 inch piece of ginger (peeled and chopped into small pieces),
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp red chilli powder,
3 tsp coriander-cumin powder,
1 tsp amchur powder,
1 pinch of asafoetida,
½ tsp of garam masala powder,
Chopped coriander leaves,
2 tbsps oil of your choice,
Salt to taste

Method

Peel and dice the potatoes.

Heat oil and season with cumin seeds. Add the slit green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and sesame seeds. Stir and fry for about 1 minute. Then add the poppy seeds and hing. Fry for another minute and add the potatoes and amchur. Increase the flame and fry till the potatoes turn light brown in colour. Reduce the flame and add green peas, turmeric powder and salt. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the chilli powder, coriander-cumin powder and sauté for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle some water and cook covered till peas and potatoes are done.

Add half the coriander leaves and garam masala powder. Mix well.

Serve hot garnished with the remaining coriander leaves. Will go best with puris or parathas, though I served it with phulkas :-) .

Comments

Most Liked