Cabbage aa Undi


Today I am posting a recipe from the Konkanis of Karnataka. These are simple steamed dumpling and I must admit I had not expected to like them so much, although I was very keen on making it.



This can be had just like that with some chutney at tea time and also served with the main meals with rice, dal, and some pickle. I also like the name ‘Cabbage – aa -undi’.

Ingredients

250 grams finely shredded cabbage,
¼ cup or arhar or tur dal,
¾ rice (I used idli rice),
1 cup grated coconut
4-5 red chillies,
A little tamarind,
2 large pinches of asafoetida
Salt to taste
1-2 tsps of raw coconut oil

Method

Soak the rice and arhar dal for at least 4 hours.

Fry the red chillies with a few drops of oil and grind it with the coconut, tamarind, and asafoetida to a smooth paste. Wash the rice and dal mixture well and add that too the coconut paste and grind to coarse thick paste. Add as little water as possible.



Mix in the chopped cablage and salt to the rice mixture.

Make small flattened balls of this mixture and steam in a steamer for about 30 minutes.

Drizzle the raw coconut oil on top of the dumplings while serving.

I served it with rice, dal and pickle. The leftovers were had the next day at breakfast time with chutney.

Comments

Most Liked