Sweet Potato Omlette with Red Pepper Sauce

Sometimes I make a dish and think I will not post it…this happens most often during periods when I am not actively updating my blog. However this time I made this dish and just thought I wouldn’t post it…but I casually shared the picture on my WhatsApp status and an a foodie group on Facebook and it garnered so much of interest, I thought I have to post it…So here goes….

 


This is inspired by a recipe I saw in the BBC Good Food magazine years ago.

Ingredients

 3-4 small sweet potatoes (pick the ones which are thin),
Any neutral oil as required,
1 red capsicum,
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar,
1 teaspoon powdered red chilli,
½ teaspoon powdered cumin,
1-2 garlic cloves
A good handful of sliced green onions,
6 beaten eggs,
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil,
Salt and crushed black pepper to taste

Method

To prepare the Red Pepper Sauce

Chop the red capsicum. Heat about a teaspoon of oil and add the chopped red capsicum, saute till it starts charring a bit. Switch off the heat and let it cool. Once cool blend the roasted red capsicum with the garlic cloves, olive oil, vinegar, some salt and crushed black pepper into a smooth sauce.

To make the Omlette

Slice the sweet potatoes into thin rounds about 1/2 cm thick. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a medium sized non-stick frying pan and add the sweet potato slices. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally till done.

Beat the eggs together and fold in the salt and pepper. Sprinkle half the green onions over the cooked sweet potatoes. Pour the eggs over and shake the pan to distribute them evenly. Cook this covered till the eggs are just set. Then sprinkle the rest of the green onions and cook for another minute. Remove it onto a plate and cut it into wedges. Serve this hot with the red pepper sauce and maybe buttered toast.

Comments

Most Liked