Ripe Mango Sambar



Everywhere on the blogosphere I see my fellow bloggers posting mango recipes, today I am going to post a recipe for ripe mango sambar. This is one of the reasons I was waiting for the mango season I wanted to try this recipe and I am so glad it turned out well and was much appreciated by my parents.

Here is the recipe I followed...

Ingredients

¾ cup arhar/tuvar dal,
1 ripe mango or 2-3 small ripe mangoes,
A small lemon sized ball of tamarind,
1 tbsp sambar masala,
¼ tsp turmeric powder,
2 green chillies,
Salt to taste
2 tsps oil,
½ tsp mustard seeds,
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds,
A pinch of asafoetida,
8-10 curry leaves

Method

Wash and cook the arhar/tuvar dal with salt and turmeric powder. When cooked, blend it well and add water to get a not-too-thick consistency.

Soak the tamarind in about half a cup of warm water for 10 minutes and then remove the juice.

Peel and cut the mango into big pieces, let some of the flesh stick to the seed as this will also be used in the sambar. Some people prefer to leave the mangoes unpeeled but I prefer to peel them. If you are using small mangoes you can just peel them and not bother with cutting them.

Add the mangoes and slit green chillies to the dal and cook till mangoes are tender. Ensure the mangoes don’t over cook or they will completely disintegrate into your sambar.  

Next add the tamarind juice and sambar masala. Adjust seasoning and let it come to a boil. Then simmer and cook for another 3 minutes.



Heat oil and add the fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pop add the asafoetida and curry leaves. Pour this tempering over the sambar.

Goes well with plain rice.

Comments

Most Liked