Doi Rui



Doi Rui or Dahi Rui is something my husband keeps talking about. Before marriage my husband worked in Bhubaneshwar for about a year, there just across his work place there was this place which he would frequent for lunch. And doi rui was the standard thing he would order with tandoori rotis.



So I thought let me try it and after much internet research for the recipe I settled on this recipe which is a hotch potch of many recipes I found. Hubby liked it but apparently it was not the same as the one he used to have in that Bhubaneshwar restaurant. Well I guess it is very difficult to meet up to a memory :-).

Here is what I tried...

Ingredients

5 thick slices of rohu or catla,
Refined oil as required,
Salt to taste,
1 ½ tsp turmeric powder,
1 ½ cup curds,
1 tbsp gram flour/besan,
1 large grated onion,
1 tbsp ginger paste,
1 tsp garlic paste,
3-4 green chillies (I didn’t add this but I think I will add it the next time to make it a little spicy),
2 small bay leaves,
2 green cardamoms (crushed),
1 inch piece of cinnamon,
2 red chillies,
½ tsp red chilli powder,
1 tsp cumin powder,
½ tsp sugar,
4 slit green chillies

Method

Clean and wash the fish slices. Marinate this in salt and half the turmeric powder for at least half an hour.

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the fish slices for about a minute and a half on each side.

Mix curds, 1 cup water and the gram flour and keep it aside.

Heat about 3-4 tbsps of oil and add the bay leaves, green cardamom, cinnamon and red chillies. After about half a minute add the onion-ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder. Fry well till oil separates.

Now add the curd mixture and sugar. Cook this on a low flame stirring continuously till it is heated through. Slip in the fried fish slices and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Lastly add the slit green chillies and turn off the heat. It is best to serve this after about half an hour, so all the flavours combine well.

Goes well with rice or rotis.

Comments

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. If you liked this post, please post a comment sharing your feedback or suggestion.

Most Liked